Monday, May 29, 2006

One Year On

It was one year ago that we became the European Champions the 5th time and were entitled to keep the Big Ear forever. The memory is still here, but before it fades out, I need to keep it down.

It all began 2 years ago. We met Newcastle in the last game of the season, but since they did not beat Southampton the match before, we were virtually secured 4th place. This made me feel safe to travel to Melbourne on that Saturday night to have missed the game.

After the season is over Houllier resigned and Benitez arrived. It was certainly a season of changing, and Gerrard almost left. Luckily he didn't, but a certain striker did - he even sit out the Champions League 3rd round qualifier for this purporse. We rolled through to the Group Stage and was playing just OK. Misjudgement by the referees like the Saviola goal did not help, and we went into the last game knowing we need to beat Olympiakos by 2 goals to qualify.

The match was not going well in the first half. We were one down by a Rivaldo freekick and need to score three in the second half. Rafa brought up Sinama-Pongolle and he scored one. Then he brough up Mellor and he did the same. Time was running out, then come Stevie G, scoring a thrunder from 30 yards out and we were through. Now bring on Leverkusen.

At this stage I had some hope that perhaps this would be our season, although very few people gave us any chance at all. Leverkusen were duly destroyed, then came Juventus. It was fate that brought us together, 20 years after the Hasel tragedy. We won the first game 2-1 and kept a clean sheet at their home. And we were in the semi-final and next came Chelsea, the team we lost 3 times already that season.

First leg was a good 0-0, although the result was good, but we should have won the game. In the second leg the Kop did its best and sucked Luis Garcia's shot into the net. We kept our heads high, then in the 96th minute Gudjohnsen was very close to score - so close that the Football God came out and prevented the goal, and we were in the Final in Istanbul. I would have quite watching football if he scored, for that means there is no justice at all. After this game I cried - for we finally broke all omens and in the Final, after 20 years.

I have never been so nervous before. The match was on a Wednesday, and I began to feel nervous on Monday. On Tuesday I received the Champions League Final jersey and then came the Wednesday. I wore the jersey and we were well beaten 0-3 in 1H. I was hoping this was just a dream, and slightly think of the games at Basel and vs Olympiakos. I took off the jersey and wore my usual Stevie G #8 jersey on, and somehow, we came back. At 1-3 I thought it is good to get some pride back, but after Smicer scored that beauty, I knew we have a chance. Then Xabi missed that penalty and hit the rebound, I knew we can win it. Then we rolled on, and at the end of extra time, Dudek made that impossible double saves of Shevchenko, and I knew we will win. For the Football God won't be that crual and carry us so far and drop us.

Then came the penalty shootout. First came Milan and Dudek saved. From our side it was Hamann. I remembered his miss at Cardiff at that League Cup Final, but this time he made it. Then Dudek saved. Next came Cisse, who's miracle return from injury and scored the penalty. Then AC Milan scored and Riise missed. It was 2-2. Next came Smicer, a guy who had his heart with the Club, but due to injuries was never fulfilled his truth potential, scored his last goal for us. Now it's Shevchenko, the best striker in the world. But this was not his day and Dudek saved. And the rest is history.

Somehow I didn't cry this time, for maybe I have lost all my energy, but I am proud of the team. For this is certainly not the best team on the pitch apart from that 6 minutes, but due to their belief, together with the supporting fans, we made the impossible possible.

1 comment:

Mark M Heenan said...

My memories (just in case you're interested)...

Liverpool Vs Olympiakos - listening to it on the radio, swearing cursing, wishing the ball in, then when Gerrard scored that belter, even over the radio you knew it was a great goal, and I was jumping about all over the place!!!

Bayer Leverkusen - what fun!

Juventus & Chelsea - so much tension, so much relief at the end.

The final - So excited for days before, then spent most of the first half banging my fist on the table. Sent a text to a friend "There's still a chance but at 3-0 down it's looking a bit tricky" and he sarcastically replied "Well at least you're being realistic..."

Gerrard scores, and immediately I know Stevie doesn't think that's just a consolation, he wants more. He's signalling to the players to lift it, and I'm going nuts in the bar, people telling me to calm down because we're still two down...

Smicer! Now it's on! This time it's not just me jumping up and down, it's the whole bar!

Alonzo!!! Best comeback ever, and I spend the next half an hour giggling at how surreal it all it, pinching myself just to check...

Extra time - tense, but deep down we can't possibly be beaten, it's meant to be, and as soon as Dudek makes his double save, I'm certain it's ours.

Penalties - When Shevchenko misses, I just go limp all over.

The next 20 minutes is taken up with people looking at each other as if to say "did that really happen?" and all the Liverpool fans singing, hugging, slapping each other on the back...

What bliss!